Fat Matt's combo plate

Fat Matt's combo plate

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bourbon............

We had our annual Christmas get-together, last night. It is always nice to see the families and friends that we have gathered with for the last 15 years. The kids have gotten so big and our hair has grown a little more grey, but our friendships have endured the years and differences. We truly look forward to this party, every year.

For the first time ever, Brandi and I decided to make a batch of an old family favorite.....Bourbon slush. It's a concoction of lemonade, orange juice, brewed tea, and, of course, Bourbon. Mix in a little 7-Up and you have an awesome year-round elixer that goes down way too easy.

I opted to use a cheap Bourbon, Evan Williams Green Label. The slush turned out as good as ever. It got me to thinking about this versatility and quality of this Southern whiskey that is always my favorite.

Bourbon is simple. It has to be at least 51% corn and it has to be aged in charred oak barrels. Contrary to popular belief, it does not have to be made in Kentucky. (though any self-respecting Bourbon fan will insist that it SHOULD be made in Kentucky)

I love so many different price levels and brands of Bourbon. Wild Turkey 101, Makers Mark, Beam Black, and the lofty Pappy Van Winkle 20-year-old, are my the whiskeys that I like best.

Currently, Bourbon is becoming more and more expensive. The Asians can't get enough of the stuff and are buying it up in record amounts. It is driving the price through the roof! So, I am now in search of the perfect inexpensive Bourbon. I keep hearing about Old Grandad and Evan Williams 1783, but I know that there has to be more out there that I haven't thought about.

What are some of the suggestions of the masses? My ears and taste buds are open!

No comments:

Post a Comment