Fat Matt's combo plate

Fat Matt's combo plate

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Southern Souuuuuuuuuuuuul!

I have always said that you can't love BBQ and have a favorite restaurant. There are so many styles and sauces that you might be able to pick one of each, but never one overall. I was lying. I had just never been to Southern Soul BBQ on St. Simon's Island, GA.

It's in a converted service station that you will smell, long before you see. It's on that goofy roundabout that most folks still have not learned to navigate properly. It's everything that you expect a good Southern BBQ joint to look like. They opened in 2006 and, like so many other Q shacks, they resurrected after the fire in 2010.

You never know what the special is going to be at Southern Soul. From pork tacos to fried quail and waffles. They love to get smoky and adventurous. I have never had anything that disappointed.

I would eat there every day that I am visiting St. Simon's, much to the dismay of my wife. She loves BBQ, too, but thinks that I have an addiction problem with this place.

My favorite is the sampler platter. I usually get brisket and pulled pork, along with collards and the most delicious and chunky Brunswick stew that you have ever had. All of the sauces are good, too, but the Hot Georgia Soul is the star of the show. Sweet and hot and downright tasty.


The Southern Sampler

You never know who you might bump into while you are eating there. I have seen Davis Love III picking up his to-go order on several occasions.

This is my favorite BBQ. I know it and I am not afraid to say it. Go out of your way to eat at this place. You will get to see one of the most beautiful areas of Georgia and sample the South's best Q. It just doesn't get any better than that.


Front and Center
                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment